SE-R was stolen

Tyler Clark LPTClark@ihc.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:29:25 -0600

My 91 SE-R was stolen in Salt Lake City UT on Friday Dec. 20th, Merry
Christmas! I've since got the vehicle back as of Tuesday Christmas Eve,
again Merry Christmas! I won't bore you with the details but here are a
few questions and comments I would like to ask. First of all why do you
have to pay to have a stolen vehicle taken out of impound? I was charged
$185.00 to get the vehicle back. ($110 towing fee and 5 days worth of
impound fees). Secondly why does it take 3 = days to notify the owner
that the vehicle has been found???? I reported it stolen at 5:45 PM and
the impound form shows that it was picked up at 8:50 PM the same day! By
the way I only have liability insurance on the car otherwise the
insurance company would pick up the bill on the impound fees and of
course the damage to the car.

Now for the technical questions. It appears that the low life bastards
that stole my car where able to start the vehicle without "hot-wiring'
the ignition. I am unable to put my key in the ignition completely but
any device that can be partially inserted with turn the ignition now. It
does not appear to have any physical damage to the key area making me
think they might have inserted something into the key slot that a
locksmith might use? Are classic SE-R's easy to jimmy the locks on? I am
wondering if I should replace all the locks but need to know if any of
you have done this and what it costs for the replacement parts? Or
should I pull the key mechanism out and see if a locksmith can fix it?

The punks also destroyed my dash with a screwdriver. I guess they were
pissed off when they unhooked the oil line off the mechanical oil gauge
and got hosed down with oil (dumb bastards!) so they probably decided to
take a little revenge and trash the dash. If anyone has a black dash
they want to sell please email me privately.

Please give advice on security devices you recommend. i.e. The Club,
clutch boots, alarms with ignition kill, all the above, etc.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Tyler
91 SE-R in need of some repairs then to be auctioned off on ebaY.