Making a torque plate

P@ bossman@customsteel.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:36:33 -0600

A couple of things to think about.  A true torque plate will transfer the
stresses evenly due the solid construction of the aluminium plate.  If you
bore out the head, the stresses may cause the modified head to warp because
you are removing a lot of material that is used for the structural integrity
of the head.  Keep in mind that the casting itslef along the mating surface
has a lot of water passages that contain no structural support.  In
addition, once you bore the head, you will have holes coming in from the
valve passages at an angle to the bored surface.  In a nutshell, its a good
idea, I dont know if it will work, it might depending on how much clearance
you need for the bore size you are trying to get to, but for the price of a
hunk of aluminium and the machining your better off getting one made.

In addition to the quest for a perfect hole, youll also need to build a
torque plate that simulates the stresses from the bell housing of the tranny
on the block as well.

P@
www.customsteel.com
99' G20 with some mods...