Wheel weight removal.

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:30:42 -0600

At 12:17 AM 12/19/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I bought a set of OE alloys that need repainting before I put them on my
>car. The problem is that there are lead wheel weights on the outsides of
>each wheel. Is there an easy way to remove them without damaging the wheels?

Tire shops have a special plier-like tool to crimp them on and pull them
off.  But I think you can remove them with any old pliers, esp if minor
blemishes to the wheel won't make any difference.  Just grab it and lift
and rotate up away from the face of the wheel.

Are you doing a DIY refinishing, or what's the plan?  I have a set of NX
wheels I want to get refinished.  Think I'm gonna get them bead blasted
then buy the Harbor Freight DIY powder coat kit.  But I've seen web how-tos
on painting.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '92 SE-R parts car