Forums vs Mailing List

jon dossey jon_3000gt@hotmail.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:33:42 -0600

>The cookies work.  You can also override the fonts in IE; check
under "accessibility options".  Or use a browser like Opera that lets you
configure things to be displayed in a readable font!  Can I turn off  all
the damn repetitive oversized graphics so many insist on sticking in  their
sig lines?  I've got a fast PC and 1600Mb/sec of DSL line, and it's still
TOO FRIGGIN SLOW.

Wow, that was more than I ever wanted to know about an MS product ;)
Easy, forum software that doesn't allow posting of images.  Text based only,
just like the email list.  Or at least allow it as an option.

Btw, how much are you paying for a 1.6Gb/s dsl line?  ;)

>I think the mailing list promotes more sharing and exchange, because
everyone sees a message (or at least its subject) even if it's not a
forumor category they would have bothered to look in.

How about a message forum w/ only one forum?  Or no forums at all, just a
listing of threads?

>As for time, I use filters in my email client (Eudora) to separate,
>categorize, and highlight messages.  It takes me a lot less time to skim
>through or delete stuff I'm not interested in, than to scrounge through the
>forums (feels like  I'm at a flea market!)

Single forum, you won't ever have to delete messages.  You can easily go
through all of them.  I'm pretty sure I could write the software in a matter
of days if we really need a new solution. Not to mention all the bandwith
that would be saved.

I'm just trying to show you that all the problems you have w/ message forums
are specifically in the software and can easily be corrected.

.jon
93 SE-R + N2O