So this is how it ends...and perhaps another place to go!

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:02:48 -0600

It's not that Mike,

It's more just that quite a few guys who've been in the computer industry
for
more than, say, 15 years, and can remember when BBS's with fidonet were
'Da Sheeit', and basically hate the forum interface.

Even more importantly, a threaded mailing list is a much better way to go
through a load of posts, and well, it's simple - it doesn't require you to
log
in, it doesn't require you to browse through a bunch of sans-serif text
(harder
to read than a serif font, scientifically proven.)

It's also not a push-pull network service, we send one message to the
listserver,
and it blasts it out to a list of email address, after it makes sure it
conforms to the
various rules - quoting, line length, etc.

If you want a thousand people to read the mailing list, it won't
break the server, because it's not on the server.

If a thousand people wanted to log into nissanforums, I'd be willing
to bet something would break - maybe not, it might take
2000 simultaneous users - I wonder if the forums have ever had even
500 simultaneous - right now it's at 25, and apparently running, so, so far,
so good.

I'm not trying to dog the forums per se, but where's the scalability?
Larry's list could serve 100,000 recipients, easily enough, and
as Wayne said in a reply, it's NOT a superior interface.

Every message from this list goes into a subfolder in my inbox,
it's a simple enough mechanism, and it scales up nicely.

Go ahead, try to archive the forums - I mean, at least it's php
and not cold fusion, but their pretty similiar technologies - both
are server side scripting languages that allow you to make database
calls via their special tags - it takes quite a bit more cpu/ram, and
doesn't work as well for the purposes of reading through
a bunch of information..

At least it's not a Micros*cough*oft technology :P