speaker upgrade B13

Jonathan Hamilton hamiltonjct@yahoo.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:52:36 -0600

I replaced my fronts with a 5 1/4" component set and simply created baffles to
offset the size difference.  I believe that there are some special 6 1/2 or 6
3/4 inch drivers that will fit with out a baffle and have the 3 point mounting
holes but of the ones I am think they all kinda suck.

It is actually very simple to create your own baffle just go to Home
Depot/Lowes and get a scrap piece of masonite, trace the factory speaker onto
the masonite and cut with a sabersaw (or anything else), next use your speaker
template that most new speaker come with to mark the inner hole in your plate
and cut it out.  I mounted the speaker to the baffle with screws and c-clips so
that it wouldn't come apart.  My speakers have been in for 5-6 years and still
sound as good as when I put them in.  By the way, all of this fit underneath
the factory door panel and is virtually invisible (unless you get a flashlight
and look through the grille slots).

My only wish is that I would have used a bigger mid-bass to increase bass
response up front and also that I would have used a rear baffle to again
increase bass response.

Regards,
Jonathan Hamilton
'92 SE-R