Tires

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:16:23 -0600

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:42:53PM -0600, Melissa Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hey all.  I need to put new tires on my '98 200 SER and need a little help.

I hate shopping for tires almost as much as I hate trying to buy shoes
for my wife.  I've become very good at tire shopping, however.

> I can't find a good rating on any of the 195/55/15's.  I put Kumho's on it

Define "good," and what exactly are you rating?

> just about a year ago and had problems early on.  Tread is still good but
> the tire is cupping.  So, looking for something in the $100 range to replace

That's usually not a tire problem, but a chassis or driver habit
problem.  It can also be caused by improper pressurization.  We don't
have enough data to help you figure out the problem at this point.

> these - need an all season.

Hey, at least you're only looking for a 15" all-season; do you have any
idea how much it sucks to find a 16" all-season tire? =:0

> Any suggestions??

Two tires come immediately to mind, the Potenza RE950 and the Dunlop SP
Sport 5000.  The Dunlop SP Sport A2 comes in as an "also ran," but it's
a touring tire, not of the same caliber as the SP5k and RE950.  Damn
fine tire, don't get me wrong, but it ain't high performance, regardless
of TireRack's classification.  Even though the Kumho 712 is cheap, it's
also a pretty sticky tire for it's class.  Going to the A2 or something
like the Michelin XGT H4 would be a pretty significant downgrade in
grip.

If push comes to shove, and I don't score the 15" steel wheels I have
lined up, and I have to put all-season treads *back* on my 16s, It will
almost certainly be the Dunlop SP Sport 5000.  That's me, though, and I
smoke a few banana peels.

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |