EGR and Smog Legal

Jon Davis TurboSER@comcast.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:41:06 -0600

EGR isn't the problem in the intake. Oil mist from the crankcase causes
deposits on the intake valves, throttle plate etc. I had 155k on my engine
with working EGR and it looked brand new from about 1" ahead of the fuel
injector all the way down to and including the valves. The EGR passages had
roughly 1/32" coating of sooty carbon, but no soot beyond the EGR passages.
EGR doesn't hurt performance, not even after 155k miles. It does help
emissions, whether it looks dirty or not.

Jon Davis