EGR fix attempts fail

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:16:20 -0600

Peter gave some very good advice, to which I'd like to add the following:
One trick that I have heard of is to take some (in your case 2" length)
stranded metal wire and strip off the insulation from the  front 1/4 inch of
it to act like a wire brush.  Next, chuck the other end into a drill and run
it in forward and reverse to try to scrub out the hole.
When you are soaking the inside of the tube with carb cleaner, you can try
to attach a length of hose to the tube and blow into it to force the fluid
into the carbon.
When you finally get the passage clear, you may want to use some silicon
hose in place of the original rubber hose, as it has better temperature
resistance.  By cutting off the last few inches of the  BPT tube, you have
eliminated much of the metal that radiates the heat of the exhaust gasses
before they can get to the rubber tube.
Also for this reason, I would not try to enlarge the BPT pinhole orifice as
I did on my car.  That would allow more heat to get at your flexible hose
and the BPT.

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs wiring work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be