Non-SE-R: Methanol, was GM OHV engines

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:44:56 -0600

	As was noted, methanol is usually associated with biomass.  Ethanol
is also
	biomass, but is well-established and promoted by
Archer-Daniels-Midland,
	which doesn't want it associated with biomass. As was also noted,
ethanol
	requires more BTUs to make than it stores. It's a losing game, but
it's
	renewable.

YES!!! That is the other point I wanted to make...and sorry for not catching
the ehta-metha difference.

	Rather than methanol (whether biomass or oil-based), think about
	methane: less processing, better combustion, slightly more power
balanced
	against the need for high-pressure storage and delivery.

	The crux of the bisquit is the apostrophe.

mmm... biscuits... and gravy...ahh...

	We need to devise and implement
	a power generation scheme for infrastructure that doesn't use
precious oil,
	whether it be solar, nuclear or fusion or all of the above.  We also
need
	to devise and implement a mobile power generation scheme that
doesn't use
	precious oil.  Save the oil for important things, like plastic.

Don't forget petroleum jelly to...

	To put it all in perspective, we don't have water, food , oil or
metal
	shortages, we have a global CARBON shortage.

BiH speaks the truth..

Brian in Atlanta