Non-SE-R: GM OHV engines

Scott Johnson scottjohnson@kc.rr.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:10:27 -0600

bcembor@fastenal.com wrote:

>Somewhere along the line SUVs became sexy for some reason (I
>don't get it).  Sally Soccer Mom thought it was great to sit up high, haul
>the little rug rats, and drive a tank with tires.  Men apparently like them
>because, well, I don't actually know.  Perhaps it's because it's almost a
>truck and it's one they could talk their wife into.  Who knows?
>It was a very very clever marketing scheme. Very subtle. I am not saying a
>conspiracy at all, just make up your own mind. I know who's fault it is but
>that's my opinion.

The only "person" at fault is the federal government. They thought that CAFE
would get most of the big cars off of the road. Instead people turned to
buying SUV's to replace the big four-doors and station wagons they loved.

My Subaru Legacy wagon is barely adequate for hauling me and clan
around, especially around Christmas, and I'd love to have a Buick
Roadmaster sized wagon (ok, maybe not _that_ big) with a six-speed and a
4.0L OHV V8.

Just remember the easy guideline: Everything government touches it screws
up. A good example is Clinton's executive order putting massives taxes on
any executive salary above 1 million. The companies made up with difference
to the executives with stock options. Now in the past two years we've found
out it's not such a good idea to have the wealth of the officers of a
corporation tied directly to the stock price, as they tend to fixate on that to
the detriment of everything else.

-Scott Johnson
 scottjohnson@kc.rr.com
 93 SE-R
 Can't believe he's been on this list for like 7 years. I didn't have any  kids or
 even a wife when I first joined. :-)