Non-SE-R: GM OHV engines

Jack Ray rjrjack@knology.net
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:22:14 -0600

Steve wrote:

> I can't figure out what has been discussed here.

Jack wrote:

And I tried so hard to be clear (smile).

> 1. All modern engines are OHV ( overhead valve ) haven't seen any cars
made
> lately with side valves. Even SR20's are OHV.  Just means the valves are
in
> the heads.

That's true, but the common term for a pushrod, overhead valve engine is
OHV, so that's
what I used.

> 2. The discussion should have been about pushrod vs overhead cam.

Nah, not really.  People don't use the term 'pushrod engine'.  You could as
easily say
it should have been about overhead cam versus cam-in-block engines.  See #1
above.

> 3. Somebody should tell the NASCAR people that their engines can't turn
9500
> rpm.

> 4. Any differences between motors has to to with airflow, not necessarialy
> where the cam is located.

In a limited, theoretical sense your statement is correct.  In actuality,
though, the ability
to spin it up that an OHC engine has leads to many differences between OHC
and
OHV motors.

> 5. I feel better now...

=:^)