rollbar / safety issues with harness (something like that)

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121@oak.njit.edu
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:08:17 -0600

Peter wrote:

> You mean a minimal roll bar that follows the B pillar? Something like
> the RACE Rollbar here? (Assuming the bar is far enough behind the
> headrest that impact is a nonissue)
> http://www.ioportracing.com/rollbar.htm

Yes, that's what Geo is talking about.  However, you don't want the
rollbar to be too far back because the next nearest point forward of that
is your windshield and the a-pillar.  Personally, I wouldn't trust the
a-pillar and I'd want to have a clear line from the top of the rollbar to
the top of the dashboard without my helmet interfering (and I don't think
I currently have that :(

> The street bar doesn't have a belt bar. I assume the street bar wouldn't
> work if you were using the rear seatbelt lap mounting points because of
> the belt angle? That is still an issue, right?

I *THINK* it would still work.  You'd be able to work the belt around the
beltbar I think.  The belt bar you don't really need anyway.  Mine even
came with an almost serraded edge so it cuts things!  I filed it down and
it still cuts my hands sometimes when I reach into the back for something.

> But the street bar might be OK with one of the Y belt harnesses that
> mount to the upper rear shoulder belt mounting point?

That's what I currently have.  If you want, I can take some pictures for
you Peter

> Or are you saying a full cage minimum for harness use?

A full cage in a street car would be a bad idea in the event of an
accident.  I'm a *BIT* concerned with the rollbar in an accident on the
street.  For example, if someone t-boned me hard, the other car's bumper
might wrap around the rollbar hoop and catch me and pin me.  Ouch!

If you want to see some more pics/info, I did a quick writeup a while
back:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/june02/rollbar.php

If you'd like more pics that aren't there, I've got some more out there on
the web somewhere (and I can easily take some more if you specify what
you're looking for)

kieran