Harness safety in street car?

Peter Jackson jacksopc@earthlink.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:51:45 -0600

"geo3@earthlink.net" wrote:
>you do not want to use a racing harness w/o at least a
> roll bar.  Mounting issues aside, you don't want your head and neck
> part of the crushable structure near the roof of the car should you

You mean a minimal roll bar that follows the B pillar? Something like
the RACE Rollbar here? (Assuming the bar is far enough behind the
headrest that impact is a nonissue)
http://www.ioportracing.com/rollbar.htm
The street bar doesn't have a belt bar. I assume the street bar wouldn't
work if you were using the rear seatbelt lap mounting points because of
the belt angle? That is still an issue, right?
But the street bar might be OK with one of the Y belt harnesses that
mount to the upper rear shoulder belt mounting point?
Or are you saying a full cage minimum for harness use?

Peter J