Fastbrakes

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:34:15 -0600

I Asked:
  What mold did your wheels come out of?

Carson Answered:
  I'm not sure - how can I tell? Is there some marking on the wheel itself?
  purchased the wheels in '99 from K-Speed, if that helps.

I Say:
  I'm not sure how you can tell Carson, but I got my wheels from Kspeed as
  well, and if that's where you got yours, you most likely got the mold #3
  wheels with less clearance. A call to Kspeed should answer the question.

Steve Asked:
  To shed a bit of light on the fastbrakes kit we need to know which kit you
  are referring to.  He has a 11 inch 1 piece, 11.75 inch 2-piece, a 11 inch
2
  piece HD, and a 11 inch 2 piece HD that also fits behind the stock b14
  wheels.

I Say:
  I am talking about the 11" kit, but I have no idea which one. I called
them
  and had them meassure the demensions for me (because oddly he said
  he'd never meassured it before). I'm not sure which kit he meassured.
  But I came up with this info:
  ftp://FTP_Files:ftp@24.60.219.7/tech-wheelfit2.gif

Steve Wrote:
  The last one [last kit listed] I helped to make. We moved the caliper way
  back and were able to get the wilwood caliper to fit behind the stock b14
  wheels with a 5mm spacer.  The big advangtage is this 11 inch kit should
  also fit with out a spacer behind most 15 inch aftermarket wheels.

I Say:
  That's the thing, Panasports have much lower brake clearance than most
  aftermarket wheels because they are mainly for RWD cars, and were made
  with torsional rigidity as top priority. This gives them a big curve to
the spokes
  that cuts into brake clearance.

Steve Wrote:
  Every wheel I have use ends up with good clearance toward the outside of
the
  wheels.  If it helps the b14 wheels barely rub this kit without the
spacer.
  You could compare your pansports to the b14's and see which has more
  clearance.

I Say:
  I will compair the clearances, but to clear things up, would you tell me
the model
  of the brake kit you helped develope so I can ask for the exact demensions
from
  fastbrakes. Something tells me he meassured an earlier kit and the one you
speak
  of may fit... Also see the link for the numbers I was given from
fastbrakes.

-Ben