Fastbrakes?

? grailer@yifan.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:42:28 -0600

"Ben Fenner" <fenfam@attbi.com> wrote:

  > I have another quetion for you Carson, what mold did your wheels
  > come out of?

I'm not sure - how can I tell? Is there some marking on the wheel itself? I
purchased the wheels in '99 from K-Speed, if that helps.

  > I've read that the NX2000 calipers need to be grinded (ground?)
  > down to fit inside the stock SE-R wheels.

Yes, the calipers need more outside clearance (i.e., towards the wheel 'spokes,'
if you will) to fit under the 14x5.5 stock SE-R wheels. There are two schools of
thought here - grinding the calipers or using spacers. I won't debate the
merits/drawbacks of each, but will say I ground my calipers and 150k miles later
they're fine. I wouldn't advise grinding 4-piston aluminum calipers however. If
you use spacers, you'll need about 2mm, which may mean you'll need longer wheel
studs. I think H&R sells 3mm spacers at a minimum and they also have longer
wheel studs available.

  > I'm just not keen on running brake pads that are meant for a
  > relatively high temperature.

Understandably so - I run Blues on the track only. For the street, I use OEM
pads because they're decent and they're cheap. Panthers (at least the 1st gen I
used) dusted like hell - and it was a particularly insidious dust that welded
itself to my wheels. I've heard decent things about EBC's pads, but haven't used
them myself.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss