restrictor plate SE-R racing

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121@oak.njit.edu
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:09:51 -0600

Well, looks like Greg Amy is going to be the world's first restrictor
plate SE-R racer.  Attached are some pics of his two restrictor plates
(one held up a little better than the other!)  I went up on Saturday to
Limerock with my girlfriend to meet up with Greg.  Greg apparently had
been yelled at by either the town or Limerock that his car was above the
allowable 85dB limit.  Greg's friend/mechanic/fellow SE-R freak was there
to help and he put in a piece of aluminum or something.  As you can see,
that piece blew out pretty handily.  Then Matt got into a whole new level
of ghetto mechanics that I have not even seen with the likes of Lee Koloszyc!
Matt pulled out a drawer in his tool chest and cut a piece of it out to
put before the glasspack (I think?  I just saw a gasket that looked like
the gasket at the end of the header secondary sitting there for a
template)  So his toolchest drawer now has a little hole in it.

Anyway, on his first session out there Greg was a little restricted.  He
said he couldn't get much over 3K RPMs or so.  He (I don't think) couldn't
get past a Mini Cooper S despite all of us cheering him on!  Matt
clocked Greg at consistent 1:13's.  This is the same guy that bragged
a few weeks ago about running 1:03 and 1:04's.  Now I don't believe
him! ;)  Next session Matt opened it up a bit by taking some of the
Limerock-supplied steel sponge out and Greg ran a little faster revving
to maybe 4500 RPMs.  This time Greg ran a few laps around 1:06.3-1:06.9
Faster than I did in September (but don't forget I was down 20HP and
short-shifting because I was overheating - car running lean from a screwed
up MAF which I didn't know at the time)

Man, what I wouldn't give to have been out there Saturday!  When I
registered for all the PDA events in February, who would've thought it'd
be 60 degrees on November 9th at Limerock!!!

Pics are here:

http://www.kieranlavin.com/temp

524 is the aluminum piece that the raw power of the SR20 blew apart
525 is Matt marking up the drawer from the tool chest
526 is the drawer after part of it was used to make the restrictor plate

kieran