rear stb idea

Josh Palmer jpalmer@qmiwi.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:04:18 -0600

>The reason why I say UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) or even UHDP (ultra
>high density polyethylene) is that it would be lighter weight than using
>steel/aluminum and possibly offer the same rigidity? Just a crackpot
>thought...?? too many bananas for breakfast I guess??

UHMW and HDPE would give a nice weight savings, and UHMW
is easy to machine, but they would flex too much.
UHMW has a modulus of elasticity 111 times less than
aluminum and 333 times less than steel.

MATERIAL; TENSILE STRENGTH; MOD. OF ELASTICITY; DENSITY

UHMW; 4.75 KSI; 90 KSI; 0.034
HDPE; 4.6 KSI; 170 KSI; 0.034
6061-T6 ALUMINUM; 45 KSI; 10,000 KSI; 0.098
1018 Cold Drawn STEEL; 64 KSI; 30,000 KSI; 0.283

Josh Palmer
1993 SE-R