Another B13 rear STB

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:17:24 -0600

Shawn, Butterglry@aol.com wrote:

>wouldn't a bolt in cage provide just as much if not more support than any
>kind of rear stb, trianglated or otherwise?

Perhaps.  Depends upon too many things.  A stock Autopower bolt-in cage
won't do much for the limp rear end of a B13.  I've see someone grab a
strut that was bolted in at the top but not the bottom and wiggle it around
on an NX with an Autopower cage.  The amount of movement of the strut tower
would make your hair stand up.  That is one of the problems with trying to
tune a B13 suspension.  The coachwork has less spring rate than the springs
if you go too high.  That is why Bob Legere recommends relatively low rear
spring rates in a B13, even with high front rates.  By far the best
rotating B13 I've ever driven was Craig Damaschi's with 450/275.  That
sucker *really* rotated.

>with at least for points of contact and cross bars i would think the cage
>would be a better option while providing added saftey as well. the only
>downfall i see to using a cage is the added weight.

A cage in a road car is an incredibly dangerous idea.  The cage can kill
you.  Let me repeat that.....  THE CAGE CAN KILL YOU.  If your head hits
the cage (which it can do *very* easily - even in a light accident), it's
really easy to be killed or a veg.  Don't do it.  Cages are great with a
FIA homolugated seat, 5 or 6 point harness, *AND* a current Snell SA rated
helmet.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>