Another B13 rear STB

Josh Palmer jpalmer@qmiwi.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:47:04 -0600

> From: "Kevin J. Hart" <bowlcut@comcast.net>
> But will the seat fit back over that bar without any modifcations?  And
how
> noticeable is it?  Omer's seat goes on no problem and the bar isnt
> noticeable

The seat fits back in place fine. You don't notice
it's there, unless you push back into the seat real
hard - It would probably be the same with Omer's.
Omer - care to try it?
The bar doesn't stick out past the 'seat mount
flange' much at all. I'm also going to use 7/8" or
3/4" hex in the final design.

> From: RCKTPWR@aol.com
> Has anyone actually put one of these bars on, and if so, have you felt any
> difference in the handling?

I have only driven home and back to work since installing
it, so I'm not sure yet.
Read this thread:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28785

"These make a pretty big differance. The rear of a b13 is about as stiff as
a noodle. A sun roof makes it even worse." - Joel W. (random thoughts)

"You are exactly right. It made a *very* noticable difference. The car
understeers much less and will hold a line much better. I can even get the
car to drift now rather than plow, but the rest of my suspension obviously
helps with that also."
- Omer Khan

> From: Butterglry@aol.com
> does the sheet metal bracket have to be 3/8 or can i get away with 1/8
> stainless?my konig front bar is  pretty thin so  i really dont see the
need
> for the extra weight.

I used 5/16" thick with counterbored holes for the flange
nuts because that's the closest size we had in stock.
The final design will be 3/16" or 1/8" steel, or 1/4"
aluminum with c'bored holes for the flange nuts.
Also, look at your front bar. If it's like the 'Courtesy'
front STB, the brackets are stampings, with formed ridges.
These add a lot of strength, allowing the use of thin
sheet metal. The center bar is solid aluminum hex bar,
it is pretty rigid.

Estimated weights for complete brace:
Steel brackets, blocks,    w/ 3/4" hex Al bar = 6.5 lbs.
          "                   7/8"      "     = 7.3 lbs.
          "                     1"      "     = 8.2 lbs.
Aluminum brackets, blocks, w/ 3/4"      "     = 3.9 lbs.
          "                   7/8"      "     = 4.7 lbs.
          "                     1"      "     = 5.6 lbs.

The first one was made on manual equipment, with higher
quantities, we'll use the CNC's and will be much faster.
Ballpark pricing so far:
5 @ $85, 10 @ $65, 25 @ $55, 50 @ $50.
I think we can make them for less - if there's enough
interest, I'll have the CNC programs written and have
a better estimate on the price.

Josh Palmer
1993 SE-R