metal head gasket question

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:01:48 -0600

>doesnt the head have to be o-ringed or something

>like that to run the copper headgaskets?

Yes. I've never known anyone that could get a copper gasket to seal on a
street car. O rings usually don't help that much. I'm not sure if the
original post was about a copper gasket, though.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here. MLS gaskets are usually thicker
than stock. This alters cam timing. So does shaving the head or decking
the block. I see a whole lot of "built" motors being mentioned, with no
mention of taking the head height differences into account. I hope these
engine builders are smarter than that and are compensating somehow.

-Jay