Made a rear strut tower brace for my classic

Omer Farooq Khan ohmfab@comcast.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:15:54 -0500

Hey guys,

I finally got around to making a rear stb for my classic.  Turned out to be
very simple and easy and just about anyone with a welder and a home depot near
by could do it.

I have pictures at:
http://earth.vol.com/~ohm/rearstb

The parts I used:
2) 36" x 3/4" steel pipe (Home Depot)
1) 36" x 5/8" all-thread (Home Depot)
5) 5/8" nuts to fit the all-thread (Home Depot)
2) 5/8" steel lockwashers
1) 3/16" thick steel plate (had it laying around)

I first made a template of the end brackets and gave them to a friend of mine
who cut them out of the steel plate with a plasma cutter (need to get one of
those).  Then I drilled the appropriate holes for the strut tower studs.

We welded one nut to the center of the all-thread -- this will allow you to
hold it to keep it from spinning when you tighten the other bolts against the
steel pipes.  Then I threaded the other 4 bolts and lockwashers on
appropriately.  Then deburred the ends of the pipe and slipped them over the
all-thread.  The total length of the stb is 50" so we measured out 24.5" from
center (to leave us room to get wrenches in there to tighten all the bolts) and
then marked the pipes at each end and then cut them to length.

After that you just clamp the assembled pipe section onto the brackets and tack
weld them in place in the car (be sure to disconnect the battery).  Then take
it all out, weld up the seams, paint it and reinstall it.  Adjust the preload
and your done.

It really made a difference in my car.  The back no longer jitters over bumps
and the suspension can do its job much better.   My suspension consists of
AGX's, Gen2 Hypercoils, Front STB, ST rear anti-swaybar, and ES poly bushings
everywhere.

That's it, took a couple hours and works great.  If anyone wants any more
details just lemme know.

Omer F. Khan
'92 White SE-R w/ stuff @
http://earth.vol.com/~ohm