5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:29:49 -0500

Larry wrote:
> The reason I would replace both the hub & sleeve is to replace the hub:
> they come as a pair, you cannot buy just the one. The hub is pressed
> onto the input shaft and should not be re-used once removed. You
> probably could re-use it, but it'll be loose (and often is already
> when you go to remove it). That may not be *that* bad of a thing
> since it is captive in there, but I'd replace it.

How hard is the new one to press on? Does it have to be heated to be
installed? If it just slides on with little to no resistance should I trash
the input shaft as the splines have too much play?

What do you think about the input shaft clip groove? (Particularly the area
with the chuck of metal removed)

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo