2.5' downpipe vs. 3' downpipe

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:08:07 -0500

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 04:57:46PM -0700, Andris Laivins wrote:

> > This looks to a monkey like me to be the most elegant solution.
> > Why would flaring up to 3" immediately after the first bend (as
> > soon as the pipe straightens out) be better?

> Go get a coffee stirrer (tiny plastic straw) and try blowing through
> it really hard.  Now get some scissors and cut 3/4 of it off and try
> blowing really hard through the remaining 1/4 of it.  Also, if what
> you say is true, we could all gain power just by welding fatter tips
> on our mufflers :P .

Whoa, I said it looked elegant, not that it was the 100% best solution.
:)  Ideally, I think you'd want to have a 2.5"-to-3" flare *right*at*
the turbine outlet, but that's not exactly practical, is it?

Basically, it's been established that the downpipe will be 2.5" at
one point, either at the turbine outlet only, after the first bend, or
somewhere further down the line.  My question is whether immediately
flaring after the first bend *really*is* any better than just waiting
till the flexpipe, as Jay Stewart said.  I think from your swizzle stick
analogy, the answer is no...I think.

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |