2.5' downpipe vs. 3' downpipe

Andris Laivins andris@monkey-r.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:01:08 -0500

> I would reduce it.  It's hard for me to believe that adding an
> extra weld/seem would flow better than using just one pipe.
> JGY

Hmm, I'm not convinced weld seams are as important as people make
them out to be (done right).  However, you aren't going to be able to
do this anyways - There just simply isn't enough space in an SE-R.
You'd either have to reduce an entire 90 degree bend down to 2.5 :)
or reduce just the very end where it meets the turbine; but there is
not room to do this.  You aren't going to be able to reduce a curved
section of tube, and the downpipe is already a complete nightmare
even with an ultra-tight radius 3" mandrel bend baloney-cut to meet
the turbine outlet flange.  There simply isn't room to have the extra
bit of straight tube required to reduce it.  I'm personally not
convinced that flow restrictions and turbulence right at the turbine
outlet are as damaging as people think.  Don't get me wong - any
turbulence and restriction is undesirable and should be eliminated
whenever possible; but look how much power is made all over the world
through various manufacturers' cast O2 housings/turbine elbows - and
they are pretty booty :P .

IMHO etc. :)
andris