5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Jay Stewart jay@nx2k.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:02:06 -0500

>http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/t/fthomasr/5th/MVC-635F.JPG
>Which is what appeared to be half of a snap ring.

That's how the snap rings look. Normal.

>There appears to be damage to the 'Stopper' seen here:
>http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/t/fthomasr/5th/MVC-644F.JPG

Keep looking. I believe you are seeing a symptom, not a cause. There is
more to this mystery, basically, I believe.

>http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/t/fthomasr/5th/MVC-646F.JPG

You can reuse the cover as long as the bearing is still good if you
want. I wouldn't in a high HP car, though. You have weakened the case
where it holds one of the shafts in. Not good.

>Others have posted on the forum that the snap ring has broken
>on them as well and suggest cryo treatment with replacement
>for strengthing (just the ring).

Sorry, but this is LOL funny. Exactly why I don't bother reading the
forums. Did they tell you to pour some slick 50 in it? Be sure to check
your blinker fluid while you are in there, too. :rollseyes:

Replace 5th gear, all of it, it's trashed. Replace the case too if you
want the job done properly. Keep looking, though, I think you may have
more problems than you think. Check the bearings at each end of the
shaft, look for galling on the shaft. Spin the shaft in the bearing,
does it spin feely? Or does it make a whizzing sort of sound?

Read the FSM, it has plenty of into on shimming the tranny. You may have
to buy several thicknesses of shims. That's the price of rebuilding a
tranny. Your clip is fine, though, that's not your problem. It's a
symptom.

-Jay