The Glen

? grailer@yifan.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:59:01 -0500

"Raymond A. Kawski" <sr20de@epix.net> wrote:

  > can say is that I would see 135-140mph by mid back straight
  > and I was *NOT* flat footing it!

Oh, I'm not saying anything about the speed Ray - that's pretty quick, certainly
conceivable, and I don't doubt you. All I'm suggesting is that you won't pick up
much speed on the back straight over and above what you're doing at the top (as
you exit) the esses.

In fact, I use this strategy all the time there. Because I emphasize handling on
my car and getting turn one (the ninety) right, I regularly not only catch, but
pull on, far more powerful cars at the top of the esses and down the back
straight. I'm flat-out through the esses while other cars aren't. Just before
the apex of turn one, I'm flat-out on the throttle and keep it there 'till
braking for the bus stop. Hell, that's the only way I could ever see over
110-115mph on the back straight at all! <g>  In our cars ('cept for you lucky
turbo & VE guys), it's all about momentum.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss