Rusted Rear Calipers... (long)

Jay cyberblinky@yahoo.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:43:38 -0500

  I finally have something to add to the list this
time!  (Not anything real good though.. :~P )
Anyways, I recently began having a loud grinding noise
coming from my driver's side rear tire.  Upon looking
through the archives, I figured it was most likely the
parking brake sticking and proceeded to lube up the
cable, post, move it, repeat for about a half hour.
This didn't seem to help, so I finally decided to pull
the entire brake caliper off and take a look at her.
Everything seemed normal, except for a some surface
rusting, until I started to pull the caliper pins to
inspect them... ONE OF THEM WAS JAMMED IN THERE!!!
Holy @#$%!  One I could remove with my fingers, the
other.. heh I had to hold the caliper down with my
foot and attack the pin with a pair of pliers to get
it out of there.  I am off to the stealership
tommorrow to get a rebuild kit (that has the greases
and boots in it, IIRC?) and a new caliper pin.
  I think the culprit was a leaky seal from the boot
of the pin and the pin.  The pin did not have any type
of lubricating grease on it at all;  hopefully that is
the actual problem, but it is only a temporary fix.
My rear rotor got grooved pretty badly; so I am
looking to upgrade the rears with the big maxima rear
discs and possibly some EBC Green Stuffs. (If I read
the article on SE-R.net correctly that is...)
Thanks everyone, sorry it is soooo long!  :~D