Dead Battery Question

Julian julianh@alchemysemi.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:25:43 -0500

Wayne wrote:
>What are you charging it with?  Some battery chargers with an auto-shut-off
>feature can be tricked into stopping too soon under certain conditions or
>on certain types of batteries.  Most of 'em have an override switch to get
>around it.  I'd make sure it gets a good 8 or 10 hour charge (or whatever
>Westco or the charger's manufacturer recommend.)

I've got a $15 Wal-Mart special, 2amp 12v trickle charger, no auto shutoff
figured that would be gentle enough.  Doesn't seem to be holding much juice
even after 12 hours of charging.

>I've heard it's bad to store them un-charged.  But no harm in storing them
>fully charged.  AutoZone or some store with a tester should be able to tell
>if it has an internal short or something.

Well, it used to be the battery would run down after a couple of weeks of
nonuse and then would sit like that for another couple of weeks till I
charged it up to take it out the next day. I'll see what the parts store
says.  I busted out the multimeter to check it but it didn't turn on...
dead battery in the multimeter DOH!

I'm just wondering if other intermittent battery users have had problems.

Thanks, Wayne.

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R