Engine Diag Codes

Mike Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:48:21 -0500

This is kinda BS, cause U can buy special cartriges and KEYS to unlock the
other diag codes by using a Snap On scanner. Nissan for instance has 2 diag
ports, one for Generic scan tool like Vertronix, Snap On, or OTC to name the
few. And other just for using the Consult. What generic scan tools can't do
are immobilizer programming, alarm diagnosis, radio programming ( some
manufacturers like Audi, BMW and Benz can program the radio for diff
countries, diff display on- lets say HELLO Jizz or AudiSport, reconfigure
radio sensitivity, test speakers...etc.), programing alarm remotes, and most
important reprogramming the ECU. Honda has one of the shittiest ECUs on the
market, it has very little data stream, very little sensors also, They only
use ONE O2 sensor on their Ultra Low Emission vehicles- like the Acura MDX
for instance, I do not know how they get away with it but they do( my Maxima
has 4 sensors and its not ULEV ). Their ECUs can't be reprogrammed using any
factory equippment. Nissan ECUs from 00-up can be reprogrammed via Consult.
If the car has a bad idle, or MAF codes- like on Maximas, U install a
updated MAF, and download programing from Nissans website via special Nissan
ASSIST computer- just a regular PC but it has special addapters for hooking
up the Consult and uploading the info into the Consult. Then U plug in the
scan tool into the vehicle U are working on and in 15-20 min the ECU is
reprogrammed with a new program for any new updated sensors, this saves them
alot of $$$ in the long run. On Hondas whenever there is a new sensor or
something for the car- they got a heat soak bulletin out on the older 3.2L
V6s where U install a new Fuel Press Regulator, and ECU. If this was Nissan
they would want U to install a new fuel press regulator and reprogram the
ECU for the new regulator saving them about 900 bux on a new ECU. I did a
comparison on a new 03 3.2TL Type S and my 01 Maxima, I got about 30 diff
readings for sensors on my car vs about 15 for the TL. Nissan over-engineers
their vehicles all the time maybe thats why Maxima is the most reliable mid
size sedan. Lexus blows up engines, Acuras blow trannies left and right-
sometimes even engines, and Nissan... just has O2 sensor problems on cars
that are not driven to the Max.
Mike Jez- Certified Audi, Acura Tech.
01 Maxima- best car ever owned
90 Maxima - 300K miles still runs like a champ
93 SE-R.... bought used long time ago... needs a VQ30 and it will be the
best car ever.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/09/27/diagnosing.car.repairs.ap/index.htm