Overheating nightmare - unsolvable please help

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:46:59 -0500

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 05:17  PM, svanhook5@comcast.net
wrote:

> I just wan't it to go away :)

Shane, I can certainly understand that, sounds like youve been through
a lot in troubleshooting this one.  Let me back up for a sec, though.

Have you taken off the radiator cap and actually verified that coolant
is flowing back into the radiator?  This will be visible once the
thermostat opens, normally at the same time the fans kick on.  Also,
you ARE seeing the fans kick on, right?

What are you running in the radiator for coolant, what mix?  Too much
antifreeze and it wont cool as efficiently, so having a greater
percentage of water in the mix might be helpful.  Redlines Water
Wetter will be good once youve finally got a handle on this problem, I
wouldnt add it now as it would probably be a waste if you had to drain
the system again.

What exact procedure did you follow for getting all the air out?  If
there are still air pockets, youll have overheating issues.

You say that steam is coming out from under the hood.  Im assuming
that this is coming from the overflow tank?  Are you seeing the level
in the tank rise as the engine heats up?

It sounds like youve replaced all the right things, but knowing what
your observations are will be helpful in tracking this one down.