5 mph rear end accident causes tons of damage......(kinda long)

Probedude probedude@hotmail.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:36:08 -0500

No problem. I knew you meant "could" and not "was".  I just can't picture
even the "could" part given
what acceleration and deceleration these parts see in everyday use.

Just think of all those 5K RPM clutch dumps on the 1/4 mile strip people do.
Then there's the crumple energy absorbing zones in the car's frame.
The only way those clutch parts are going to move is if their mass is so
high that they want to remain in one place.

If her head's still attached after this rear ender - the clutch is okay. A
head weighs a lot more and is more fragile than a clutch spring or pressure
plate weight.

Sorry, I tend to be very literal and analytical
(and cheap too - wife wonders continually why she married an engineer).