Muffler advice needed (all exhaust gurus, please take a look)

Lee Combs sr20depower@yahoo.com
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:01:14 -0500

I wouldn't consider myself a muffler guru either,
however as like everyone else I do have an
opinion...grain of salt.

So what I'm picturing here is a perforated straight
thru can with a couple of bottlenecks and some of the
silencing perforations covered with a pipe. Am I
close? I think the pipe in the middle, if I understand
correctly, seems to be there to not let the muffler
completely muffle. removing shouldn't hurt anything
but your loud db's. It would most likely only make the
muffler quieter.

as for flow, well what mods do you have on the car?
I'm assuming by the current dia. of your piping, you
are running basic bolt on's (I/H/E)and maybe a set of
cams or a 50ish shot of NAWS. :) If you were running
FI, you'd most likely be running a 2.75-3"
exhaust...an assumption on my part. At current power
levels, you should be fine with the current muffler
(N1). If you do decide to send it back, may want to
check out REMUS or the STROMUNG can. Or as the other
poster mentioned magnaflow or even the new RAVIN cans.
Personally the RAVIN can is too small and does not
give enough muffle.

FWIW...