ECU's, Dyno time, and O2 sensors

Rick Frey rfrey@iupui.edu
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:26:13 -0500

Congrats list on an interesting thread!

I don't for a second deny the depth of knowledge required to properly tune
a car.  But, I think that many people on this list, with the aid of modern
technology, can teach themselves to safely tune a car w/o blowing up their
motor.  If you have a passion for something and spend the mental energy to
teach yourself, you can self teach yourself complicated processes.

As I see it, the most important thing in tuning a motor is following your
fuel mixture properly and knowing when detonation is occurring.  So.....
what do you think of this idea?  It would probably be best applied with
a  stand alone unit, but with burning ROMs as a possibility, then.........

Monitor detonation, as best as possible, with the factory knock sensor and
a data logger.

Install a wide band O2 sensor from the ultra fuel efficient honda civic
(the VX?) into your down pipe.

Go to a dyno with a fresh wideband O2 sensor.

Do your pulls and calibrate the VX sensor in its current location.

Data log, hit the 1/4 mile dyno, all the while knowing your fuel mixtures
with accuracy.

You  could even run closed loop at WOT.

Flame away,

rick frey