ECU Tuning as per "Down Under"

Chris Pronios hpro@b-link.gr
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 02:22:08 -0500

> From: "George Roffe" <geo3@earthlink.net>

> If I was him, I would too.  He makes money whether you build a killer set
> of maps that produces great, safe hp or you blow your engine up on the
> first pull.  Kind of like a stock broker.  He gets his money either way.

Correct again! In this respect I have been trying (in personal email
messages) to make him tone down a bit the buy-buy-buy style, especially on
the US boards and pointed out the potential differences between US and AU
ECU code. It is not the fuel/ignition maps themselves that may cause harm
but the rest of the code that has to do with sensors and signals that may be
different between US and other boards.

Here in Greece we get 99% JDM configured engines and yet, we had JDM-code
boards that went into limp mode for apparently no reason at all. I would
hate to have something like this happen to a turboed car and even more, I
would hate it if it did NOT go into limp mode when it should do so!!!

> Again, I'm not trying to bad mouth in any way.  Just trying to interject
> some reality here.

Softening up are we??? :-)))
Seriously though, I do not believe he can really make money out of this.
Down in AU there are other persons that have been doing this for ages and
are well known and respected in the SR20 community. In my book, the seller
that does not have to advertise his product is much more of a good trading
partner than the one that has to yell about it. So AU is not really make him
any money and I doubt that the US or Grece will. I tend to think that he has
an initial bunch made of 20 or so (in order to be practical) and trying to
unload as many as he can so he can (rightfully) re-cap his invstmetn.

Chris