Exhaust stuff; you know the drill.

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 22:17:45 -0500

Okay, so I practically have Mike Kojima's exhaust article[s] memorized,
and I understand the broad strokes of the physics behind what makes a
good exhaust system.  I wonder, though, about one specific muffler
component I've looked at for months.

The Dynomax Thrush 24203 has a 2.25" inlet and outlet, a 22" long, 3.5"
round body, but steps down to 2" internally.  I know that the ideal is
to have no neck downs, but wouldn't having a 2" pipe just after the cat
(pretending that the 2.5" inlet isn't there) be good for velocity, while
a 2.25" pipe set after that point help the top end [gas] volume
handling capacity?

Also, other than perhaps [sound] volume control, are there any drawbacks
to using a muffler with a 2.5" or *maybe* even a 3" inlet on a mostly-
2.25" pipe system?

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |