oil pressure gauge options

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:17:31 -0500

"Jay Whitely" <jwhitely2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

  > What is the highest oil pressure you normally see on
  > your oil pressure gauges on a warm engine?

Around 75-80psi with Redline 10w40, but it's not there for long before I shift.
Normal pressure at cruising (3250-3500rpm) is 55psi or so with the same oil.
Mobil1 reads lower, I don't know what dino oil does.

  > I am trying to decide on a 1-100 psi or 1-150 psi

Stick with 100psi. Not only will you not exceed the range, but at normal
cruising pressures, the needle will be in the middle of the gauge, have the
largest useful range (sweep) across the gauge, and tend to be more accurate
since the range of measurements is smaller.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss