scca

Heath Vogt rallybug@yahoo.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:53:24 -0500

--- George Roffe <geo3@earthlink.net> wrote:
> So, I don't know if I answered your question.  They
> cannot please
> everyone.  Someone is always unhappy.

And with everything it seems the unhappy ones are the
loudest.  I used to try and be as involved in SCCA
Club and Pro Rally as much as possible - mostly
crewing for the Stud Bug (the pro rally new beetle,
I'm sure you've seen it in the cute car ad, with it's
previous owner), or being a course worker, or
pre-running the rally to check mileages, even rode in
the zero car once.  Anyway, at one point I was
building a car to compete, and I basically got so
tiered of all the bitching I decieded it wasn't worth
the agrivation to be involved.  Half the unhappy
people it seemed were unhappy with stuff that didn't
even effect them.  Others were unhappy with things
being one way, until it changed to the way they wanted
it, then they wanted to go back to the other way.
Some people just aren't happy unless they have
something to complain about.

That said, if you're just Autocrossing at a local
level, it's the people in your local club that are
going to really determine weither you enjoy it or not.
 If they are helpful to the new guy, and friendly,
then you will have a good image of the SCCA.  If they
are snobs or jerks, that will be your impression of
the SCCA.  My oppinion (everyone has one) is that most
people will not go beyond that level so that is the
level that is most important to most people.  At the
local level, you have alot of freedom.  If you want a
class, just potision for it.  If three people show up
to every autocross with a '92 SE-R with a CAI and
exhaust, you can get a class for only '92 SE-R's with
CAI and exhaust at the local level.  There is nothing
that prevents the local club from doing this.

One mistake I think alot of people make, not only in
SCCA but in general, is being passive bitchers.  It's
alot easier to bitch about how the autocross is run by
the club than it is to volunter to help organize and
run one.  It's easier to bitch at the bar about your
class not fitting you than it is to research a little
to find if others feel the same and maybe a change is
in order.  The higher ups in SCCA do listen (at least
some on the Rally side do), but you have to talk to
them.   I guess I figure with SCCA you get out of it
what you are willing to put into it.  Course, I gave
up on rallying, figuring I could get out alot more by
putting in alot less somewhere else.

Maybe this was more than what you were asking
for......

Heath

=====
Heath Vogt BSME