scca

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:17:04 -0500

Brian Cembor wrote:

>I was perusing the forums last night and noticed a big disdain amongst many
>older SE-R owners for the SCCA.
>Just wondering why that is? And what are the alternatives to the SCCA? AFAIK
>they are the only ones to have a decent nation-wide amateur program
>(SoloII).
>Is there a better organization than SCCA or is this just people's bad
>experiences with them.

Brian, the SCCA has to deal with a huge number or personalities, agendas,
classes, etc.  They have put on Solo I, Solo II, TSD rallies, performance
rallies, regional amateur roadracing, national amateur roadracing,
professional racing....

They occasionally make stupid decisions.  But that is really in the mind of
the individual.  Somebody thought that stupid decision was a smart
one.  You have to consider all of the decisions that are made by the
various boards and committees of the SCCA and when you do, you realize,
they *have* to make a bone-head decision now and then.

I have been active on the Improved Touring (a regional roadrace class)
forum and where I used to be cynical about the SCCA, I must say I'm as
cynical or more cynical about the racers.  There is no, none, zero,
consensus out there.  Somebody always has a complaint.  You can't make
everyone happy.

Unfortunately, the structure of the SCCA occasionally creates folks who
take their power to their heads.  It even attracts folks who are power
seekers.  OTOH, without these people, none of the events would ever happen.

Some folks think NASA is the way to go for roadracing.  They are certainly
easier going from all I hear.  They also are very open to adding classes
that other folks put together and gather folks to compete in.  In addition
to the SE-R Cup, there is also a 944 Cup.  IIRC Spec RX-7 class started in
NASA.  The SCCA simply cannot do this very easily because they already have
too many classes.

So, I don't know if I answered your question.  They cannot please
everyone.  Someone is always unhappy.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>