5th gear shifter movement

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:38:37 -0500

Kyle wrote:
> First my motor mounts were shot!

> Second, the one of the 12mm nuts that hold the shifter stabilizer bar
> bracket to the rear cross member motor mount was missing and the other nut
> was loose.

> I'd also check to make sure that all the nuts/bolts that hold the shift
> linkage are all in good order (even up there above the cat, right on the
> shifter it's self).

Yeah I finally crawled under there to take a look today. James wiggled that
control arm and the play in the bushing made the shifter move in 5th. Just
like 1/32" of movement in the control arm, resulted in 1/8 to 1/4" of the
shifter. Wierd. Even more wierd is this movement is not replicated in any of
the other gears YET still was able to have 1/32" of play in the control arm.

I also found that sucky (no pun intended) BOV FMax hose was leaking under
vacuum. I suspected this before and confirmed it today. I don't know how
much unmetered air would actually be sucked in by the turbo, as the K&N air
filter should have less resistance compared to the leak. I will say though,
we both noticed the ride afterwards at only 7psi seemed to be an
improvement. In fact, James thought I had the boost controller on (set for
10psi). I bought a replacement hose from Autozone and Advance Auto (yes I
had to buy it twice, don't ask :) part number 1314 which has a 2" inlet and
1.75" outlet. The HKS BOV actually has a 1.5inch outlet but the 1.75" works
fine. Still not a perfect hose for the job but it seals and is 100% better
than the Darth Vader hose FMax bundles in there kits.

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo
Albany, GA