35 offset with 16x17.5

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:27:17 -0500

Chris Pronios wrote:

>Yes George BUT...

>We are physically measuring the mounting plate distance not from the
>centerline but from the lip. The lip is the reference point.

You didn't read the link I provided.

Your method is not correct, and least I cannot see it.

Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel.

So....

First you measure the width of the wheel.

Second you measure the backspacing.

Divide the width by two (finding the centerline) and subtract the backspacing.

So, using your example of a 6.5" wheel, using the bead as a reference....

Width = 165.1
Offset = 35mm
Backspacing (which you neglected to calculate) = 117.55 (to the bead)

This is reverse calculating using (width/2)-backspacing

Thus (165.1/2)-117.55 = 35

OK, now lets say the lip of the wheel = 10mm and we measure from the
outside of the lip.

Width now = 185.1 (165.1 + 10 + 10)
Backspace now = 127.55 (117.55 + 10)

So, we plug into the formula to calculate offset:

(185.1/2)-127.55=35

Same same.

BTW, you are getting this twice because I got it as a personal reply first
and then through the list.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>