What's Broken?

Kyle R. Davis kyle-davis@qwest.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:12:15 -0500

> example
> Cruising at 45-50 in third, give small sudden step on gas pedal for a
> 500 RPM boost. Right wheel goes right, steering turns left (along with
> the left wheel of course), front of car raises slightly, engine shifts
> on it's mounts.
> Let off of gas, engine shifts back with a clunk, front lowers, right
> wheel goes straight again bringing the left back in line.

Terry V. was having an issue like this.. it turned out to be a combo of
things..

1. His control arm mount was bent slightly, don't know how?  But it was.
2. The ES poly bushing on the front of the lower control arm had worn the
edge off.. so when he would accelerate, the car would pull to that side BAD,
but when you'd let off, the car would drive straight.

I'd recommend inspecting the control arm mounting points and the bushings.

If is is indeed a wheel bearing as Jon mentioned, you should be able to tell
pretty easily, just jack up the car and grab the tire, then try to move the
wheel.. try both from side to side, then from top to bottom.

Let us know what you find.

-Kyle