Engine just shut off on highway!

Steven Papatrefon thepep@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:05:15 -0500

Any suggestions?  Was driving to work this morning on the highway.  Have my
new high compression motor installed.  Everything was running smoothly.  Doing
about 65mph in 5th gear.  All the sudden my dash lights come on and silence.
I pull over to the shoulder and try to start the car.  It cranks but won't
start.  I popped the hood and did an inspection.  Oil and coolant levels are
fine, spark plugs wires in, no loose connections that I could see.  No leaks
that I could see.  I checked my ECU for trouble codes and got 55 (no
problems).

Some engine specifics:

JWT fuel rail with MSD 50 lb/hr injectors
New fuel filter
JWT ECU
C2 cams
New rotor and distributor cap
Nology wires (always worked fine)

Other troubleshooting things I did:

Turn ignition on and hear the fuel pump go on and pressurize (300ZX TT pump)
Belts are tight
All alternator connections are in place
Battery connections are tight

I'm praying that it is something electrical.  I can't imagine it could be
something mechanical.  As I said, I heard no unusual noises or any strange
vibrations prior to the car shutting off.  It just went off.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Steve