High-port vs. Low-port... pros & cons

Jim Crate jcrate@deepskytech.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:40:50 -0500

> I think you need to start with
> a RWD motor. I don't think the FWD version will interchange
> with the RWD one. You'd have to import one from a silvia and
> work from there. On the positive side, it'd come with oil squirters
> already in it and low compression pistons, but it sounds like
> you'd replace those anyway.

The FWD motor won't work in a RWD car without a lot of work.  (As with
anything else, it can probably be done with enough time and money, but
what's the point?)

As for the oil squirters and low compression pistons, that's obviously only
if you're getting a RWD SR20DET.  And if you're replacing the pistons,
you'll probably be replacing the exhaust manifold, turbo, and almost every
other part as well.

> Actually I have considered it. I've talked with a few of the KA guys,
> and it seems that most would rather have the SR20DET. It seems
> that the SR holds up better in the high HP range.

That all depends on who you talk to...

> I want to find out
> if any of them have upgraded the internals much (forging,
> shot-peening, etc). I do like the KA though. My best friend has a 95
> 240SX and it is a lot of fun. But like I said, the SR20 seems to be a
> stronger engine all around, minus 0.4L... If the KA was stronger and
> wasn't an iron block, I would probably go for it because of the extra
> displacement.

The SR20DET can take more power in stock form, but the $2K+ you'll spend on
it can buy the rods, pistons, and injectors for the KA.  If you're going to
do a total build, you'll probably make more power with the KA.

If you're serious, you'll want to do some research on the FreshAlloy forum
archives (http://www.freshalloy.com/).  There are people there with many
different stages of development on both KA and SR engines.  If you're not
careful with your tuning and choice of parts, you can blow up either engine
just as easily, or make less than optimal power.  (BTW, the reason so many
have blown up KAs while attempting to turbocharge them is lack of fuel
management.  You'd see the same thing with SRs if they came with T3/T4s on
their stock 370cc injectors.  Put 370s and a T25 on a KA, and it will be
much more difficult to blow it up because the tiny turbo won't flow enough
air.)

The KA vs SR discussion has also been repeatedly been beaten senseless as
well.  It all comes down to personal preference, and what you want to spend
your money on.  They are both decent engines, and each have their strong and
weak points.  Personally, I will probably never put an SR in my car, nor
have any desire to do so, but again, that is purely a matter of personal
preference.  I just don't see the point of spending a bunch of extra money
just to have a JDM engine.

> Thanks for the confirmation on the drivetrain. I think I'll be giving
> Andreas Miko a call sometime in the next few months to see about
> getting that motor.

When you talk to Andreas, ask him about turbocharging the KA.  He's familiar
with a couple of local S13s putting out 375 whp on the stock KA bottom end,
who have been running that way for a few years now.

Jim Crate