center-lining cams???? wrong install???

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:04:04 -0500

At 09:51 PM 8/25/2002 -0500, steve filipiak wrote:
>1. Do i have to centerline my cams? Will i get better performance from it?

Nah.  Your buds are accustomed to junk built for domestic V8s.  JWT's cams
are precisely made and should work very well as they came.  Adjustable
gears can help turbo setups, or find tune race cars, but the out of the box
setting should be great for street cars.

>2. Would bigger injectors help at all? Fuel pump + injectors?

HaHaHa...   The stock injectors are 27 pounders.  Mustang 5.0 guys consider
these an size upgrade :)  The stock fuel pump and injectors are OK or any
N.A. motor.   It's also based on a mass-air-flow sensor, so any upgrades
will  work without messing with the computer.

>3. Does the computer really play these timing tricks on me? With s3's and no
>ECU i thought it was just 15 degrees and 89 octane.

The ECU has fixed timing maps for various combinations of sensor
inputs.  Primarily engine rpm and throttle position.  Changing the baseline
by moving the distributor is invisible to the ECU, and performance gains
can be made.  17 - 19 BTDC is optimal.
   -WC