One more nightmare on new engine startup

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:30:57 -0500

"Steven Papatrefon" <thepep@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

  > It turns out coolant was leaking out from somewhere on the pulley
  > side and not just a little bit.... Coolant was literally flowing
  > out of the small holes that are above and below the spinning part
  > of the water pump!!!

IIRC, these 'weep holes' are there to releive pressure when the water pump goes
bad. I've not had the problem myself, but I seem to recall reading (many times)
on the list where this is an indication of a failed or failing water pump.

  > This was a brand new pump that I had ordered from Nissan...

Sounds silly to ask, but are you sure the new one was installed? Was it the
correct one?

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss