High-port vs. Low-port... pros & cons

Donovan Maxwell dono200sx@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:30:50 -0500

Well after reading all the emails it seems that the general
consensus is this:

	HIGH-PORT
	    Flows better
	    Easier to get to fuel rail and fuel injectors
	    Slightly better top end
	    More potential power for turbo
	    More crowded engine bay due to AIV, etc,

	LOW-PORT
	    Better low-end torque
	    Better emissions
	    Less cluttered engine bay due to lack of AIV and the
        ignition is integrated into distributor
	    Easier access to Throttle Body
	    Easier to adjust the clutch
	    Extra OBD-II crap (yuck)

	So far it looks like I will be going for a High-Port motor. Do
any of you have any suggestions for the motor rebuild? I
haven't decided whether or not I am going to go N/A or
eventually have a turbo. I'm leaning towards going turbo.
So that rules out the 11:1 compression ratio. I'll probably
go with 8.3:1 compression if I decide to start boostin in the
future. What are your thoughts on a turboed SR20VE?

	What kind of treatment can be done to the head and block
of the motor? I know that the tranny can be cryo-treated
(Mine sure will be). I plan on having the head ported and
polished. I want the 64mm Throttle Body which will be
entrude-honed. As regards the insides of the engine I can
figure out which would be better: Titanium rods or
shot-peened stock rods. This is a project I am not expecting
to come together quickly so I will have time to save up for
everything.

	Thank you for everyone who responded. I plan on this motor
being pretty mean once it is done. I want to be able to
completely embarass the big V8s with a 2.0L.;) I know, I know.
In the end, there is no replacement for displacement. But it
sure if fun to try! Thanks again!

	Donovan Maxwell
	1995 200SX SE