AC compressor/clutch problem

Wes Thompson westanizer@yahoo.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:47:38 -0500

Hi All.  Here lately my AC hasn't been working well at anything other than
highway speeds.  I tried adding a little freon but it didn't work.  I just
realized that the clutch on the compressor does not engage very well anymore.
It used to engage with a very harsh clunk and now it just clicks a little bit
and I can here it squeal real loud around 2k rpms.  Can the clutch assembly be
purchased seperately from the compressor?  Can I change this without taking the
compressor out of the car?  If the compressor has to be removed I guess my car
will have to go to a shop for the first time (besides the ac recall) in 96k
miles.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Wes
PS Fire away with the girley man references if you must. An hour commute in
Dallas at 3PM every day sux bad without AC!