New SR20 powered vehicle (Long)

Lee Koloszyc nx2kracer@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:40:02 -0500

Well it was about time for my girlfriend to get a new car.  She had a 92
Mercury Tracer with 102,000 miles that was falling apart.  The timing belt
broke, I fixed it ($25 in parts, shop wanted $600).  Every possible seal on
the car was leaking and it needed all sorts of new parts.  So we went
looking at cars. She wanted a Jetta and something 98+.  Well most of the
Jetta's in the price range were the 2.0 motor with no power and a timing
belt. Of course I recommended a 99 G20 because it had a timing chain that
would last for 300k miles and of course 20 more hp.   We found a 99' G20,
Icelandic Pearl in pretty good condition, minus the floormats and one stain
on the carpet and a few paint chips, 40k miles.  We got a pretty good deal
on it and was the cheapest one (at a dealer, she wouldn't buy privately) in
a 500 mile radius.  We ended up getting the tax, tag and title taken off the
price of the car.
I was really impressed with the handling of the car, really stable even
though the suspension is nice and comfy.
The shifter is a little tall and spongy, but I already ordered her the
Pacesetter SS.  Ah another project car, now comes talking her into a turbo.
Any recommendations on how to do that George?

Lee