HELP w/ timing chain issue

Steven Papatrefon thepep@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:37:27 -0500

Well, my worst nightmare came unexpectedly true.  I am 90% done with the
installation of my custom built DPR Racing high compression motor.  Today I
added all the fluids, installed my spark plugs, fuel filter, etc.  I then
proceeded to install the distributor.  My motor is set at TDC (the key on the
crank is pointed at 12 o'clock) and the distributor/rotor is positioned
towards the #1 cylinder.  I could not get the distributor in all the way.  I
tried multiple times, oiled it up, etc. but nothing worked.  I then looked at
my original motor and the distributor went in with little effort.  I then
rotated the rotor 180 degrees and it then slipped right in.  F---k, the cams
were installed wrong!!!  This is by a professional race company, no less.

I then proceeded to take the valve cover off my original motor to see what it
is supposed to look like.  Intake sprocket key at 10 o'clock and exhaust
sprocket key at 12 o'clock.  Two silver pins at approximately 10 and 2 o'clock
with 20 pins in between.

My new motor, at TDC, had the sprocket keys WAY OFF and I couldn't even see
the colored pins.  I finally found what I think is the gold pin at about 7 or
8 o'clock on the intake cam sprocket.  Now is where I need help.  Obviously
moving the cam sprockets and cams to their appropriate position is no problem
but what about the timing chain position?

I know its probably in the archives but I am panicking now and need to get the
info ASAP.  Can I rotate the crank until the colored pins are in the
appropriate positions, then remove one sprocket at a time and position it
correctly, then drop the timing chain off the crank sprocket (by carefully
lowering it), then rotate the crank till it is a TDC, pull up on the timing
chain to catch the crank sprocket and tighten everything up?

Please anyone that knows about this or has done it, give me your input!!!

Thanks,

Steve Papatrefon
'92 NX